The Manor House was built by János Benedek in 1840, in present times noted on the list of historical monuments under no. HR-II code-m-B-12832.
The building is owned by the Municipality of Gheorgheni, being managed by Ethnographia Gyergyoiensis Foundation, under the name of Popular Creation House.
The Foundation, established in 1992 aims the protection of moral and material ethnographic values of the area with a rich palette of activities: organizing zonal ethnographic research programs, organization and development of ethnographic value protection program, revival of folk traditions forgotten, lectures, workshops and presentations of folk and traditional crafts techniques, editing and dissemination of ethnographic books, youth mobilization in preserving authentic traditions.
Besides numerous events, programs for children, courses and workshops, the Popular Creation House hosts three exhibitions: an exhibition of popular fabrics (costumes, textiles), an exhibition of wooden fretwork patterns (over 1200 models - planks on fences, porches, facades), and an extensive exhibition of decorated eggs.
According to the evidence of the Transylvania Trust Foundation, Benedek Manor House is one of the most endangered monuments in Transylvania, not only because of the condition of the building itself, but also due to the evolution of neighborhoods. Built in 1840, the Manor House is one of the most representative wood constructions, given to the curved roof of the building Manors have outstanding architecture, and only few remained intact across the ages. Benedek Manor House is a positive example in this way. It houses valuable private collections (collection of " Etnographia Gyergyoiensis) which is visited primarily by specialists ( ethnographers, muzeologists) for their unique value, but because of the lack of basic conditions, it is not permanently to visitors.
Except from the inscription '1840' on the eardrum of the house we have no other evidence recording the date of construction, this way it is an accepted hypothesis thet if refers to the year of construction.
The original function of the building - by its form, spatial organization and the name kept by tradition - has been manor house, residence of a noble.
The building has undergone several interventions throughout time, both functionally and structurally, especially on the ground floor, but fortunately the original structure of the roof remained intact, only some necessary, reversible improvisations have been made to it. The original roof frame has a clear structure, following the concept of heating without a chimney.